Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Beauty Bit: My Everyday Curls

Hello y'all! 

I have gotten quite a few emails asking how I curl my hair, what curling iron(s) I use, and what hairspray & heat spray are my favorites. Here I am to answer all of those questions for you! 

Two of the most important things to do when curling your hair is first, to use a good heat protectant spray and second, to pin the curls up after you curl them. Pinning each section up while it is still warm will allow the curls to set in place and hold for a longer period of time. This second step is definitely something crucial for those with thin, straight hair whose freshly curled hair always falls out quickly. 



My favorite curling irons.
Hot Tools Two Inch Curling Iron:This is a good, standard iron especially if you pin your curls. I find if I do not pin them, this iron doesn't curl my hair half as well as my T3. (Target or any beauty retailer - $30-$40)
T3 SinglePass Whirl Curling Iron: I LOVE this curling iron. This is my go-to iron and it is well worth the investment! I love that you can create different curls with this iron: beachy, glam, relaxed, etc. (Sephora - $130)



Biosilk:I apply this to my damp hair before blow drying. It gives a great shine and conditioning to my hair.
Kenra Thermal Heat Spray: I spray this on each small section of hair before curling it.
Kenra Volume Spray (Super Hold Finishing Spray):My amazing hair stylist for my wedding uses this hair spray religiously and swears by it. It truly gives the best hold (for days on end) without budging.
Sonia Kashuk Hair Brush:I am sorry, but I am not at the point where I can justify spending over $100 for a Mason Pearson hair brush. I am a fashion blogger here - I would much rather spend that money on something from Free People. :) I find this brush to be just as great for brushing out your curls into soft, flowing waves.
Two Prong Hair Clips:I picked these clips up at my local Planet Beauty. You can find clips like these at any beauty supply store.

You should start out with either air dried or blow dried hair and begin to curl small sections. Curl each small section (after spraying your heat protectant spray) and use clips (like the small, two prong ones I use) to hold up each small section after you curled it. Wrap the hair around your hand to form a circle and pin in place. It really is that easy. 

Once you have curled your entire head of hair and have all of your small sections cooling in place, spray a light coat of hair spray on your hair. I often leave the clips in place for 10-15 minutes and apply my make-up during my waiting time. 

After your time is up, remove each clip one by one and let your curls fall. Use your boar bristle brush and brush out your curls into soft, lightly curled waves. If any pieces are kinked or not curled enough, feel free to touch up the small section with your curling iron. When you are happy with your curls, spray another light coat of hair spray. You are ready to go knock everyone's socks off with your beautiful waves! :) 

I hope this answers all of your questions! Please take a look at the before and after pictures below. Go ahead and email me with any other beauty questions you have! :) 

xoxo 

Amanda 







2 comments: