Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Cooking Bit: Taco Time

It's Tuesday and to me every Tuesday is Taco Tuesday. Here I am sharing a simple, low-cal recipe I have so you can have that second (or third) taco without the guilt or even that margarita you have been craving all day! 

For those of you readers who don't know, I was diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance way back in college and now eat completely gluten free. I also try to avoid dairy as much as possible ... but I can't always avoid a scoop of Sprinkles ice-cream. Can you blame me? 

Here is my "Green and Clean" taco recipe: 



This recipe is so good because it is a lighter, crisper, and greener way to eat and enjoy tacos. I love how you are able to eat clean while still enjoying the food and flavors you love. I personally don't like feeling weighed down by a lot of bread and carbohydrates (even the gluten-free versions I can eat today).


Ingredients:

- 1 cup cherry tomatos (chopped) 
- 6-7 romaine lettuce leaves (washed and trimmed) 
- 1/2 red onion (chopped) 
- 1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey (depends on your preference) 
- 1 gluten-free Simply Organic southwest taco seasoning packet (or the packet of your choosing) 
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro 

*you can always add other ingredients that you prefer, such as cheese, hot sauce, avocado, sour cream, etc. 


Directions

1. Using a medium sized skillet, cook the ground meat until it is brown. Break up the meat into small pieces as you cook it. 

2. While the meat is cooking, chop up and wash the veggies you wish to include in your tacos as well as the lettuce leaves that will serve as your taco shells. 

3. When the meat is cooked completely through, add the seasoning and follow the instructions in the packet to prepare. 

4. Once the meat is seasoned and ready to eat, place it on the lettuce taco shell and top the meat with all of the toppings you prefer. Then eat and enjoy


xoxo Amanda 

No comments:

Post a Comment